Thursday, December 09, 2004

A Few Words on the Minimum Wage

From the New York Times (12/7):

Republicans in the State Senate forced through a measure on Monday that will gradually raise the minimum wage in New York State by $2 to $7.15 an hour by January 2007, overriding Gov. George E. Pataki's veto of the proposal.

. . .

Of the roughly eight million workers in New York, more than 700,000 earn $5.15 to $7.10 an hour, working mostly in retail and in the leisure and hospitality industries, say those on both sides of the issue.

Here's the thing: I'm all for helping the working poor in theory, but when it's in your own backyard, it's a different matter altogether. You see, right now, I'm better than all of those people. At least now when I wake up, often in a pool of my own creation, I can pull the needle out of my arm and know I'm better than some asshole pulling in $5.35 an hour. Ha ha! Good luck with that, sucker!

But now, come 2007, 700,000 nouveau [whatever's French for just above the poverty line] are going to be running around the streets of Manhattan waving their fat $7.10-an-hour checks in my face like the Park Avenue snobs they actually are deep down in their greedy hearts. They're going to parade down Broadway past the Strand in their handsome cabs, blaring Robert Palmer and tossing out handfuls of cash to onlookers.

They'll look in through the window of the store as they pass, lock eyes with me, and I'll know. And they'll know. Everyone will know. That I suck. Hard.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This exact thing happened to me when they raised the minimum wage here back in 2000. My employer gave me several $0.20 raises before the law took effect, each after the usual one thousand hours of work or whatever it was. When the minimum raise was increased, I was making the same as the fifteen-year-old who packs my canned goods on top of my eggs and bananas.

I'm on a lot of drugs now.

11:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gee all that might prompt a thinking person to get a real job...

1:05 am  
Blogger K-Smack said...

"gee all that might prompt a thinking person to get a real job..."

Yes, but then I'd have to start a whole new website.

2:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like this is a website?
BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

6:15 am  
Blogger K-Smack said...

Dammit. Razzed again. Story of my life.

9:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter